CBD is one of the year’s hottest food and beverage trends. But the budding sector was dealt a setback last week when the FDA warned consumers the substance is potentially harmful. Here’s a wrap-up of the biggest players in the food and beverage industry who are sure to be watching the FDA’s moves closely.
So what is CBD anyway?
- As defined by Live Science, CBD (short for cannabidiol), is “a trending ingredient the natural products industry and is the focus of a new area of cannabis research. CBD is one of many cannabinoids, or molecules produced uniquely by the cannabis family. Unlike tetrahydrocannabinol (THC, the primary psychoactive element in marijuana), CBD is non-psychoactive, meaning it doesn’t have a strong effect on cognitive brain activity and doesn’t cause the “high” associated with marijuana.”
- According to Food Navigator USA, the CBD industry is predicted to reach upwards of $2.3 billion by 2023.
10 Food & Beverage Brands to Know:
A fellow Foodboro member, A Boring Life offers a variety of products like CBD-infused nuts, honeys and hemp extracts (even dog treats!).
On a mission to share the mind & body powers of CBD, VYBES offers hemp-infused beverages made with 25 mg of CBD.
Recess offers a line of sparkling waters infused with hemp extract and adaptogens, promising users balance and clarity.
Makers of CBD coconut bites and sparkling beverages, Boulder, Colorado-based Weller is on a mission to change the way people look at food and wellness products.
CBD-infused sparkling water, available in four flavors including Lemon Lime, Coconut Pineapple and Cherry.
KIVA offers a variety of CBD-infused sweets and snacks, from chocolate bars and bites to gummies and mints. All products are sustainably sourced.
Consider Sunday Scaries your source for all things CBD, this pioneering hemp-focused brand offers a plethora of SKUs from food products like gummies and candies to home/body products like bath bombs and oils.
Austin-based makers of hemp-infused wellness shots, available in four varieties made with superfoods like turmeric, cacao and cayenne.
Offering a variety of coconut-based snack bites like Raw Cookie Dough and Coconut Brownie, Good Bites’ products are available in two doses of CBD (10 mg and 25 mg).
DRAM is a CBD-centered startup offering a variety of products, from sparkling water to adaptogenic syrups and drops.
Craving more CBD-infused snacks? Learn more about the CBD industry from these resources:
- New Hope Network’s webinar and toolkit
- ForceBrands – HerbForce
- SnackNation’s Definitive Guide to CBD Snacks
- BEVNET’s Cannabis Forum 2019