Food and beverage makers are taking mushrooms beyond brown and button and exploring inclusions and infusions with fungi that offer functional benefits. Read on to see if this on-trend ingredient makes sense for your product.
What they are: Functional mushrooms, also known as medicinal mushrooms, offer a host of adaptogenic benefits, such as increased athletic performance, stress reduction, immune support and cognitive function… to name just a few.
- Lion’s Mane
- Turkey Tail
Applications for food and beverage: As Food Industry Executive describes them, “Adaptogenic mushrooms like all mushrooms are very versatile. The flavors are generally mild, so as mushrooms are incorporated into different foods and beverages their natural flavors can be amplified or kept in the background, but either way retaining their healthfulness.” Available for use in powdered and extract varieties.
Brands that are using them:
- Know your mushrooms!
- Mushrooms going mainstream
- What you need to know about superfood mushrooms
- Everything you need to know about functional mushrooms and their benefits
- Medicinal mushrooms for health
- Inside the growth of the functional mushroom market share
- Medicinal mushrooms and the beverage industry