Welcome to Foodboro’s Ingredient Insider! In this new series we will be exploring the latest ingredient trends and how food and beverage brands are using them in their products. On our radar this week: turmeric. This versatile ingredient is hot on everyone’s mind — makers, buyers and consumers alike. And for good reason. In addition to its versatility, turmeric boasts an array of health benefits for immune support.
What it is: a rich, orange-hued spice containing curcumin, a chemical known for its antioxident properties and anti-inflammatory benefits. Traditionally found in South-Asian cuisines.
Applications for food and beverage: Commonly used in spice blends like curry powder, turmeric has grown in popularity and is being included in functional food and beverage products. The bright hue is often used as a natural source of color.
Brands that are using it:
Lairds – Turmeric Superfood Creamer
REBBL – Turmeric Golden-Milk Elixir
Keetz – Turmeric Energy Bites
Kettle & Fire – Turmeric Ginger Bone Broth
Amazi Foods – Ginger Turmeric Jackfruit Chews
Candid Noons – Golden Berry Turmeric & Mango
AKUA – Spicy Thai & Spirulina Kelp Jerky
Victory Dance Foods – Carrot Turmeric Garden Granola
Lil Bucks – Turmeric Lemon Myrtle Clusterbucks
Sunwink – Turmeric Cleanse
Humble Nut Butter – Spiced Maple Pecan
Good Wolf Water Kefir – Turmeric Pineapple
- Chemical in turmeric attracting interest in food and beverage use (Food Dive)
- Everything you need to know about turmeric (National Center for Complementary and Integrative Health)
- Turmeric’s applications in the restaurant industry (Restaurant Hospitality)
- How exactly do you use turmeric? (ABC Life)
- Top 10 health benefits of turmeric (mindbodygreen)